Constructed in 1888, the City of Stamford planned for the renovation of the structure due to significant structural deficiencies. To compliment work by the bridge engineers (Wengell, McDonnell & Costello, Inc.), the City retained Aris Land Studio to “landscape” the bridge and provide ornamental structure illumination. The challenge included the need to accommodate structural loads for the bridge, and integrating designs with the surrounding Mill River Park. Structural Rooftop soil mixtures provide the growing medium to support the plants on the deck of the structure. The design maintains historical integrity of the structure, developed long before the City was dominated by the automobile.